WHAT IS STEWARDSHIP?
Stewardship is the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one’s care. In our case, there are 185 acres of common property entrusted to the care of the Landscape Stewardship Department. Our goal is to use industry best management practices for landscape stewardship tasks in the field of landscape management, horticulture and arboriculture.
To achieve this, we are in the process of reinventing the Landscape Stewardship Department and creating organizational and public resources for more efficient operations. We want this department to be part of the community. Additionally, we are updating, expanding, implementing, and drafting new policies and procedures regarding the management and maintenance of common property. More importantly, we are focused on finding long-term solutions for day-to-day, seasonal and yearly challenges that arise from the size, location and layout of Mountain Park.
Here are some examples of how we steward the common property:
- Maintain and expand the tree canopy, and implement preventative pruning for overall tree health
- Plant native species
- Remove and manage invasive species
- Explore opportunities to create bioswales, rain gardens and other water management features
- Investigate ways to manage stormwater and mitigate erosion
- Restore streams and riparian areas
- Practice water-wise irrigation by removing unnecessary turf areas, replanting with natives, and monitoring irrigation
- Engage with the community and offer outreach, volunteer events and educational workshops
- Utilize arborist chips as mulch
- Transition away from synthetic chemicals
- Apply organic herbicides and fertilizers
- Use proper pruning techniques
- Brew and use compost tea to increase beneficial microorganisms in the soil
- Explore options for creating edible landscapes, including community gardens
- And more…
LANDSCAPE STEWARDSHIP TOWN HALL 2019
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Please scroll to bottom of this page.
ISA Certified Arborists with Knowledge of MPHOA Policies – Coming Soon