Mountain Park


Mountain Park is dedicated to providing resources that promote a better understanding of life in a homeowners association. If you still can’t find what you need below just call the association office at 503-635-3561 or email your questions to We’ll be glad to help.


What is an Assessment?

Homeowner associations can compel homeowners to pay a share of common expenses, usually per-unit or based on square footage. These expenses generally arise from common property, which varies dramatically depending on the type of association. Some associations are, quite literally, towns, complete with private roads, services, utilities, amenities, community buildings, pools, and even schools. Many condominium associations consider the roofs and exteriors of the structures as the responsibility of the association. Other associations have no common property, but may charge for services or other matters.

How much are my Assessments?

As provided in the CC&R’s, an annual assessment is levied against each living unit in the association. Funds collected pay for improvement and maintenance of common property and facilities, operational expenses, and debt service. The annual assessment is billed semi-annually.

The amount of annual assessment is set each year by the board of directors as part of the budgeting process. It may not exceed the Maximum Annual Assessment, which is a limit set by members of the association. As a result of a resolution approved by the members in 2008, the Maximum Annual Assessment automatically increases each year based on the Consumer Price Index. Automatic increases are limited to 5% per year, however.

The members of the association also have the authority to pass a special, one-time assessment to pay for capital improvements, but this has never been done.

Not all members pay the same amount. For purposes of determining the assessment for individual units, the CC&R’s divide living units into three groups:

  • Detached single family dwellings: These are always charged 100% of any assessment, annual or special.
  • Attached, single living unit in height: This group includes townhomes, duplexes and condominiums that are one living unit in height. Units in this group that are part of a development that provides them additional amenities may be charged less than the single family rate. The board sets the ratio for each unit based the additional amenities. The ratio does not change from year to year and it applies to both annual and special assessments. Under no circumstances may these units be charged less than 50% of the detached single family rate.
  • Attached, more than one living unit in height: This group includes apartments as well as condominiums and fourplex type units that are more than one living unit in height. This group is charged no more than 50% of the single family rate for annual and special assessments.


Automatic Monthly Payment Plan

As an alternative to paying assessments semi-annually, the association offers an Automatic Monthly Payment Plan. This free service allows MPHOA to automatically deduct your assessments and related charges monthly directly from your checking or savings account as a direct debit. Enrollment is easy. Just download the brochure, then complete the attached authorization form, and return it along with a voided check to the association office at:

Mountain Park Home Owners Association
2 Mt. Jefferson Terrace
Lake Oswego OR 97035

Are Dues different than Assessments?

Association dues and association assessments are terms that are often used interchangeably. Dues/assessments are collected for the upkeep of the HOA. Mt. Park bills semi-annually but you may make arrangements with the business office for automatic monthly withdrawals.

Association Types

What is a Homeowners Association (HOA)?

A Homeowners’ Association (HOA) is a legal entity created by a real estate developer for the purpose of developing, managing and selling a community of homes. It is given the authority to enforce the covenants, conditions & restrictions (CC&Rs) and to manage the common amenities of the development. It allows a developer to end their responsibility over the community, typically by transferring ownership of the association to the homeowners after selling. Generally accepted as a voluntary association of homeowners gathered together to protect their property values and to improve the neighborhood, a large percentage of U.S neighborhoods where free standing homes exist have an HOA. Most homeowners’ associations are non profit organizations and are subject to state statutes that govern non-profit corporations and homeowners’ associations.

Association Management Questions

What is Association Management?

Association management is a distinct field of management because of the unique environment of associations. Associations are unique in that the ‘owners’ are dues-paying members. Members also govern their association through an elected board or other governing body, along with association committees, commissions, task forces, councils and other units. Typically, the board selects, retains and evaluates a chief executive officer or an executive director who is responsible for the day-to-day management of the association and paid staff. Managers within the association environment are responsible for many of the same tasks that are found in other organizational contexts. These include human resource management, financial management, meeting management, IT management, and project management. Other aspects of management are unique for association managers. These include: membership recruitment and retention; tax-exempt accounting and financial management; development of non-dues revenue and fundraising. Association managers must also be familiar with laws and regulations that pertain only to associations. To attain the knowledge needed to effectively operate in association management, its practitioners may choose to pursue the Certified Association Executive designation.

What is a Proxy?

An individual appointed to act or vote on behalf of another person by representing them at a meeting of the association. The title can also refer to the written piece of paper granting that power.

What is a Quorum?

A Quorum is defined as the minimum number of owners required to hold an official meeting of the association. The number of owners required can vary greatly according to the corresponding association’s governing documents.

What is a Recuse?

The act of initiating a Recuse involves the temporary removal of an association member or board member, or the act of disallowing his or her participation in a particular vote or proceeding.

Board of Directors

What is a Board of Directors?

In relation to an HOA, Community or other formal organization, a director is an officer charged with the conduct and management of its affairs. The directors collectively are referred to as a board of directors, and are generally elected or appointed. Sometimes the board will appoint one of its members to be the chair, making this person the President of the Board of Directors or Chairman.

How do I contact my Board of Directors?

Go to the Board of Directors page, found here. The Directors are listed, plus contact information will be here.


What is CAI?

Founded in 1973, CAI stands for ‘Community Associations Institute.’ CAI was formed to deal with problems involving association management. It was an educational organization then, but CAI made substantial changes in 1992 to its structure and became a business trade group primarily to lobby state legislatures. In 2005, CAI dropped its membership category for HOAs since, presumably, HOAs were consumers, users of CAI services and don’t belong in a tax benefited group whose aim is to support the business interests of its members.

Is CAI a national organization or are they local to my area?

CAI is in fact a national organization with many local and state chapters. To contact the CAI offices in your state, check your local phone book listings or the internet to locate the office that corresponds to your region.

Association Legal Documents

What are CC&R'S?

The term CC&R refers to ‘Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions.’ A real covenant is a legal obligation imposed in a deed by the seller of a home and or property upon the buyer of the real estate to do or not to do something. Such restrictions frequently ‘run with the land’ and are enforceable on future buyers of the property. Examples might be to maintain a property in a reasonable state of repair, to preserve a sight-line for a neighboring property, not to run a business from a residence, or not to build on certain parts of the property. Many covenants are very simple and are meant only to protect a neighborhood from homeowners destroying trees or historic things or otherwise directly harming property values. Some can be more specific and strict, outlining everything a homeowner can do to the exterior of their home, including the number of non-familial tenants one may have, acceptable colors to re-paint the home, exactly when holiday decorations are allowed up, automobile placement or repair on property, satellite placement, etc.

What are ByLaws?

A set of rules or guidelines regarding the operation of a non-profit corporation such as a Board. Bylaws generally set forth definitions of offices and committees involved with the Board of Directors. They can include voting rights, meetings, notices, and other areas involved with the successful operation of the Association.

What are Governing Documents?

The declaration, bylaws, operating rules, articles of incorporation or any other documents which govern the normal operating procedures of an association.

What is a Lien?

A monetary claim levied against a property for unpaid mortgage, taxes, contractor work, or other charges. A lien is attached to the property, not the owner, but legally must be recorded in the property records of the county of residence. If a Lien is in place, the property owner has very limited ability to do anything involving the property until the Lien is satisfied or removed.

What is the Declaration?

The Declaration is sometimes referred to as the ‘master deed,’ ‘documents,’ or ‘declaration of covenants, conditions, and restrictions’ [CC&Rs]. It describes an owner’s responsibilities to the association which can include payment of dues and assessments as well as the association’s various duties to the owners. It is common viewed as somewhat of a ‘constitution’ of the association. The person or group of persons who either signs the original declaration governing the development and association or acquires the original developer’s rights is referred to as the ‘Declarant.’

What is an Easement?

An interest or a right in real property which grants the ability to a landowner to use the land of another for a special purpose or endeavor. An association may for example have an easement for slope maintenance or other repair purposes. A public utility may also have an easement for maintenance or repair work to be executed at a future date.

What is a Notice of Noncompliance?

Similar in essence to a lien, the Notice of Noncompliance is a document sometimes authorized under the CC&Rs and may be recorded in the county property records. It’s essential purpose is to notify prospective buyers that the property is in violation of the documents.

General Terms

What is a Common Area?

Any area of improved real property intended for shared use by the members of an association.

What are Ordinances?

An Ordinance is an individual or set of laws adopted by local government at the county and city level.


We invite you to browse our FAQ to find answers to your questions.

Press & Media

Media Resources, Press Releases, News Coverage

Contact Us

Call us, write us, e-mail us … or just stop by and say “hello.” We want to hear from you!

Physical Address:
Mountain Park Home Owners Association
2 Mt. Jefferson Terrace
Lake Oswego Oregon 97035

Phone Numbers:
Main: 503-635-3561
Clubhouse: 503-635-3561
Playschool: 503-636-8962
Landscape: 503-635-8333
Fax: 503-635-0971

General E-Mail:

Our Staff

Please use our staff directory if you wish to contact a staff member, department, board of directors, or committee.


Want to work at Mountain Park? Visit our Careers Page to learn more about our current openings and the benefits of joining our team.

  • Personal Trainers and Spin Instructors

    Are you passionate about fitness and inspiring others to be a better version of themselves? Are you compassionate? Are you a rockstar coach? If you answered yes to all of the above, we want to hear from YOU. Now hiring Personal Trainers and Spin Instructors for established classes!!! MUST have a current certification, experience teaching […]
    Read more
  • Full Time Assistant Toddler Teacher

    The PLAYSCHOOL at Mountain Park is currently seeking the right person to join “Team Playschool” as a full time Toddler assistant teacher. Teachers at the Playschool have the unique opportunity to work with a team of Teachers as well as Assistant Teachers in providing a warm and inviting environment for children 14 months to 5 […]
    Read more
  • Lifeguards Wanted

    Mt. Park recreation center in Lake Oswego is looking to hire Lifeguards. Most hours are afternoon/evening and weekends. Some morning hours available for swim instructors. SUMMARY Educate patrons about water safety skills and awareness in a safe and fun environment. Ensure the safety of facility patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND […]
    Read more

Social media

Have a Question? Drop us a line:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.